With the holidays behind us, we have entered the season of new beginnings. A time to start fresh. Leave the past in the past and move forward. We set goals and make resolutions to help us live long, happy and healthy lives. It’s a pretty exciting time, full of promise.
At the start of a new year, I like to take a little time to reflect on the year prior, take a few moments of gratitude for all the good that occurred. Of course, in life, there are rough times too. I look at those and pinpoint the lessons I learned, then I move on.
When setting goals for the New Year, I have learned to take the following steps…
- First we journal! Picture the perfect 2019, now put pen to paper and write. Don’t worry about making it perfect, just write. What does life look like this month? How about in the Spring and Summer? At the end of the year, how is life different then today? Write everything that comes to mind, even if it seems like nonsense.
- Go back and re-read what you wrote. Notice common themes. What do you have in your “perfect” picture, what is missing? You may be surprised!
- Now that your mind is clear, write down 2-4 things that you would like to achieve/gain/lose in 2019
- For each goal write a step by step action plan to achievement
- Next to each action step write a deadline date, these dates will help keep you accountable and will keep you on track!
- Put these dates in your calendar, with two week reminders
- For each step you complete, take a moment to congratulate yourself! What did you do right? What behaviors led to your success?
- If you miss a deadline, take a moment to figure out why, without excuses. What could you have done differently? Recognize the behaviors that get in your way and make a change!
Being mindful will not only help you to achieve your goals, it will help you grow personally and professionally, with family and friends, and even in your workouts.
I am always here to help you in any way that I can. If you need help setting up your new year, email me, [email protected] I am happy to help!!
Wishing you the very best in 2019 and always!!